Wednesday, January 30, 2008

SOWING SEEDS IN YOUNG HEARTS

by Sherry Kughn

As a Bible teacher of children, youths, or women, I have used Lambert Book House materials for many years. The curriculum has always been biblically sound, understandable, and interesting. I have many memories of teaching, and it is not surprising that children always provide the best memories.

Once, I taught the story of Ruth and Boaz to a class of only one. Not to be discouraged, I threw myself into the lesson. We talked about Boaz, Ruth, Naomi, and baby Obed. The student, a seven-year-old girl named Pam, listened intently. I tested her afterwards by asking a few questions. I just knew she would answer every question correctly.

“Now, who did we study about today?” I asked. She looked up at me innocently, smiled, and said, “Ruth and Bozo.” I could not help but laugh, and little Pam laughed right along with me, never knowing why I thought her comment was funny.

Another time, I was teaching Bible class in a rather primitive building at youth camp when a snake wiggled across the floor between the students and me and disappeared into a crack in the floor. That was the loudest teaching experience I ever had. I screamed even louder than the senior girls.

I have taught students of all relations—strangers, kin, my own children, and the children of friends. Once, a little girl’s mother appreciated all that her daughter was learning in Bible class. She sent me a gift by way of the child. The five-year-old handed me a navel orange and pointed to the navel. “Ook,” she said, “it has a beh-yee button on it.” Of course, I gave her a hug, more for the precious comment that for the orange itself.

I have always considered the hearts of children to be a mission field. If we can teach children to apply Bible lessons, like those found in the curriculum of Lambert Book House, we can sow seeds of God’s Word in their hearts.

Throughout the years, I have appreciated the flexibility of Lambert Book House materials. Each lesson contains a basic, sound Bible lesson, and each contains enough supplemental material to tailor to each class’s needs. I have also appreciated the ease of use of the materials. As a teacher, I have always set aside two hours of preparation time during the week leading up to the teaching experience. Unless I had a special project, such as a drama production or an art assignment, two hours has always been ample time to prepare each lesson.

During this quarter, I am serving as a substitute teacher. Nothing pleases me more than to walk down the hallway and hear my own grandchildren or the grandchildren of friends quote a Bible verse or sing a Bible song. These children and their interest in God’s Word are my “flowers” from the seeds I have planted for many years.